Thursday, March 15, 2007

Random writings

I got home today about two minutes ahead of The Hubs, who'd picked the kids up from daycare. They pulled up, got out of the car and The Girl was crying. At first I thought she'd gotten in trouble but she came running up to me and hugged me, sobbing uncontrollably. Her best friend "broke up" with her today. I don't know what you call it when it's your best girl friend, but it was a breakup.

My heart broke for her because this is the first year she's had such a good best friend. I really liked the little girl, met her parents, etc. and she seemed normal : ) compared to some of the other girls The Girl has befriended. The little girl's grandmother just died so I tried to explain to The Girl that maybe the breakup is just because she's so upset and doesn't know how to deal with it. I reminded The Girl how she felt when her Grandma died. I hope that's what it is and not that the little girl just did a 180 and broke my baby's heart. I know she was a bitch day before yesterday, but it's so devastating to see your child so distraught.

So my friend, the sister I SHOULD have had, Donut, is getting married as I've mentioned and she's asked me to do a reading. I'm starting to feel the pressure. I really want to do it but I want to find the perfect thing to read. I thought about writing something myself, and it may come to that if I can't find what I'm looking for. My biggest fear though is that I'll sob through the whole thing and nobody will understand a damn thing I'm reading : ) Much like my own wedding I must say. I was crying walking down the aisle, crying while I was reading my vows (we wrote our own), crying while he read his. Yeah, I'm a crier.

The Boy asked me what a hickey is the other day. I'm really, really not ready for all the changes my kids are going through right now. I don't have gray hair (one lucky gene I got) but I think my kids will change all of that. I explained to him that a hickey is when someone sucks someone elses neck and it leaves a mark. He then asked, well, can you get them other places besides your neck? I told him we didn't need to worry about that right now because he didn't need to be sucking on anyone. And besides, where did you hear that word? On a commercial on TV. Great!

So what is it about hickies anyway? I remember giving my first hickey (it was to The Hubs) and being so proud. Is that a teenager thing? I mean I don't really give him hickies now, but back then it was like such a "wild" and "racy" thing to do. Although you'd hide them from your parents (like 2 tons of foundation on your white neck wasn't noticeable!) it was like a badge of honor to show your friends, even though you acted like you just couldn't believe your boyfriend would do that to you. What is that? Is it like an instinctive territorial thing? Putting your mark on someone? Interesting.

No comments: