Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Degrees of nature

Last night The Hubs said Keely smelled like a skunk. I ran with this thought and came up with this post about the degrees of nature.

I like nature, love animals, etc. but let's consider:

If you live in a big city your degree of nature is most likely pigeons and rats.

Move to a smaller city/apartment/condo you might see some squirrels and rabbits, they're fairly common.

Smaller town, further outside the city limits--like us--rabbits, squirrels, opossum and the occasional raccoon.

Move to the country---add deer, skunks, other things I don't know of.

Then you have the woods---bear, mountain lions, etc. I don't need that level of nature.

When you think about it though, outside of a zoo, what animals have you actually seen relatively closely?

Aside from pets and zoo animals this is the list of animals I've seen:

armadillo
tarantula
scorpion
(these are all courtesy of my summer as a girl scout camp counselor in fucking hot Texas)

deer
opossum
rabbit
squirrel
snake (don't know what kind don't care)
buffalo
prairie dogs
voles
turtles

What animals have you seen face to face?

The animal I'd love to see in its natural environment----penguins.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

scorpion
(On the walls and in my shoes when I lived in the hell they call Phoenix).
deer
(Dead and alive...they're everywhere around my neighborhood)
squirrel
(ditto "deer" comment)
raccoon
(again ditto...I clearly live in a kill zone)
rabbit
(especially cute when they hop out of my way during trail runs)
snake
(thought one was a stick once and my grandmother hacked it to death with a hoe...and she was the sweaters and pearls type so the carnage has always stuck with me)
buffalo
moose
elk
prairie dogs
turtles
alligators
fox
bobcat
cormorants (sp?)
pelican
egret
seal
whale
sea otter
black bear

Man...this list makes me look like I live/travel in the sticks.

What I want to see:
penguins

What I NEVER want to see:
Mountain Lion
(A runner was eaten by one near my house in Sausalito)

creative kerfuffle said...

How close were you to the bear? I don't want to see one of those unless it's in a zoo. The Hubs said he saw a show that said when facing a bear your best option is to fight it because they aren't expecting that. You can't out run it and curling in the fetal position just gives them free reign to munch away.