Thursday, June 18, 2009

a guilty pleasure and a fishy one

i'm coming out of the closet. i like a good piece of.....literature just as well as the next person. i read pretty much anything by stephen king (yes, i know that's not considered "literature"), and anita shreve and jodi picoult, etc. when i go to the library my eyes are always bigger than my stomach so to speak and i check out a buttload of books and never get through all of them. yesterday i took books back that i'd not read--two david sedaris books that i really really want to read but just didn't--and some non-fiction that i was trying to will myself to read but didn't. i also did something i never do, took back two books i'd started and didn't finish. i am ashamed.

i did notice that one of our librarians, the one that is the least friendly, reminds me of a female james earl jones w/ dread locks. she even has his voice.

anyway, back to the guilty pleasure cos i know you're dying to know so you can laugh at me ; ) i like romance novels. i prefer the historical romances, but basically anything set in ireland or scotland or england that involves a wench and a rebel coming together w/ sexual tension, denied feelings and finally getting it on are my faves. i know, not high brow at all but what can i say. i've almost finished one i checked out yesterday.

now for the fishy one. the kids and i just got back from the grocery store loading up on camping supplies (we leave in the morning) and i was almost giddy to discover that the store now carries SUSHI. yes. i think i might have squealed a little when i saw the refrigerated display. the girl looked at me funny. i had seen this offering at other grocery stores, but not in any of my local ones. but, today, i was happy. i bought some and promptly scarfed it down while putting the groceries away. sushi is another one of those things that nobody else in my family likes. YUM!

6 comments:

Pseudo said...

So. Titles... I hanven't read a roamance novel in awhile and maybe I coudl use a wench, a rebel, some sexual tension and some gettignit on this summer.

Astarte said...

Ooooh, I loooove sushi!!!!!

OMG, you're a closet bodice ripper! Well, for one thing, you're totally NEVER getting that from David Sedaris!!!! No WONDER you couldn't finish his stuff!!! :)

Pandora said...

If Stephen King isn't considered literature,then literature sure ain't worth reading!King is the Man!

broad minded said...

sushi at the grocery is the best. my first bodice ripper was "lovely lying lips." surely a classic .. .

cheatymoon said...

If you haven't read the Outlander series, you need to go get it. It's actually the only historical romance I've ever read, and I'm not even sure I got through the whole series... but it's soooo cool.

I like Jodi Picoult too. Easy quick read. I stopped reading Stephen King at Tommyknockers. Too scary. I loved The Stand though...

Have fun camping!

Antoinette Meaterson said...

David Sedaris bored me to death...I couldn't wait to get done with that book, and i'm not sure I did.

I'm currently reading Dave Barry, and I also got Lewis Black's "me of little faith". I read things that will help me fall asleep, not keep me up for all hours trying to figure out what's gonna happen.