Tuesday, March 31, 2009

numbers

i have been blogging since july 7, 2005 and i have posted 897 times. since october 7, 2005 i have had 11, 728 visitors.

i used to compulsively check my stats. i don't think i've done that in more than a year. i used to worry about how many readers and commenters i had. i don't so much any more. i used to wish for tons of comments and frequently whined about it. i don't so much any more because i feel like, for the most part, i've really connected w/ my commenters--not just because they comment but because i feel invested in my friendship w/ them, if that makes any sense.

i see blogs with a million more readers/commenters than i have and i wonder how in the world they actually connect w/ all of those people. or do they? how can you REALLY connect w/ that many people?

6 comments:

Hotch Potchery said...

weird, I was just looking at how many posts I have had...165, since August. I still look at my stats when I am bored and think..OH, I haven't looked at my stats in awhile. I still really like looking at the search phrases that bring unsuspecting visitors!

cheatymoon said...

I don't check my stats so much anymore. Sometimes I'm interested in the lurking phenomenon, but otherwise I'm ok. Like you, I am happy with the small band of merry commenters. :-)

Hope you're feeling ok.

IB said...

I don't know how it's supposed to work. I add a couple of followers a week, but it's always the same 20or so people who comment with regularity;bless their silly hearts!

I try to not think about it but I do sometimes. Writing, like any form of communication, is about connecting with people.

Astarte said...

I feel the same way. I checked my stats the other day for the first time in weeks and weeks. I really don't care anymore. I don't know how people could keep jillions of commenters straight, or really relate to them. I like everyone who comments to me, and I comment to them, and it's more like having online friends than just Posters.

Hotch Potchery said...

I used google analytics.

kel said...

New here.. I have about 180 followers.. I would say that I truly connect with a small few, but I do hope to connect with more. It's hard to connect with everyone. I would be happy to make true friendships with just a few!