Monday, October 10, 2005

NYTimes top 1000, edited my way

This is from the NYTimes top 1000 movies of all times. I’ve made my own comments and deleted some I’ve not seen or don’t care about.

Adam’s Rib (1949) Katherine Hepburn and Spencer Tracy---I’ve watched, I have it but can’t remember the plot.

The African Queen (1952) another Kate movie, I have a collector’s edition. Awesome movie.

Amadeus (1984) I love this movie, the costumes, the story, it’s wonderful.

Back to the Future (1985) Michael J. Fox rocked in his Calvin Kleins, definitely an 80s classic.

The Big Chill (1983) awesome movie and even more awesome sound track

The Birds (1963) my kind of horror movie, no blood, no chainsaws

The Breakfast Club (1985) I always felt like Alley Sheedy’s character in this one, love her purse filled with everything. This is when I first developed a crush on Judd Nelson.

Bull Durham (1988) uh, can we say hot and baseball? I don’t like sports, but this movie rocked.

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid (1969) Newman and Redford in their finest; funny, sexy, bad boys.

Chocolat (1988) Johnny Depp, chocolate, romance, what’s not to love?

Close Encounters of the Third Kind (1977) I really liked this movie, the aliens, the encounter, just good.

Coal Miner's Daughter (1980) Sissy Spacek plays a good hillbilly. I like this movie probably because of my roots.

Dangerous Liaisons (1988) incredible movie, great costumes, great story, lots of backstabbing and revenge, love it.

Dirty Rotten Scoundrels (1988) this is one of the funniest movies of all times. I can’t imagine how it must have been on the set with Michael Caine and Steve Martin, I often wonder how many of the scenes were ad libbed. Hilarious.

E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial (1982) cult classic for me. Love the relationship between Elliot and ET, yes I cried when they thought he was dead.

The Exorcist (1973) I have never been able to watch this movie, it scares the shit out of me.

Fantasia (1940) perhaps one of the best animated movies ever, the music, the imagination, great.

Fargo (1996) very brutal but damn I love Marge. Love the accents, love the story, even with the wood chipper.

The Godfather (1972) The Godfather Part II (1974) see things you don’t know about me—I had a mafia fetish back in the day. Good movies, I always loved James Caans character though.

Gone With the Wind (1939) ohmygod—awesome movie and awesome book. I think I read this for the first time in middle school and wept for days. The movie was great and Carol Burnett’s Scarlett, with the green velvet drapes, is a classic comic moment.

It’s a Wonderful Life (1946) best holiday movie, though it never was intended to be a holiday movie. I’ve always wanted to be able to this, find out what the world would have been like if I hadn’t been born.

Jaws (1975) Still keeps me out of the deep waters; first time I saw it was in middle school at the drive in, with Grease as the first movie.

Mary Poppins (1964) Does Julie Andrews rock or what? Supercalifragilisticexpeallidocious indeed!.

My Fair Lady (1964) Audrey Hepburn and Rex Harrison were awesome, loved the story, Pygmalian the play was great too, loved the music.

National Lampoon's Animal House (1978) hello, drunken college story—what’s not to love?

The Philadelphia Story (1940) Kate, Jimmy Stewart and Cary Grant, great story about a Philly blueblood getting married.

Pulp Fiction (1994) another brutally violent movie but I loved it, except when John Travolta got whacked. Soundtrack is awesome too. I had to watch it twice before I really got into it.

The Purple Rose of Cairo (1985) I saw this in London, the same time I saw Out of Africa, along with Broadway Danny Rose. I’m not a Woody Allen fan at all, and didn’t really like either of his movies.

Rosemary’s Baby (1968) this movie scared the shit out of me. I thought about it the whole time I was pregnant the first time and watched it once I had the baby, still freaked me out.

Say Anything (1989) perhaps my favorite non-brat-pack 80s movie. My favorite scene is when John Cusack is having dinner with the girl and her Dad asks him what he wants to do with his life, and John’s all like I don't want to sell anything, buy anything, or process anything as a career. I don't want to sell anything bought or processed, or buy anything sold or processed, or process anything sold, bought, or processed, or repair anything sold, bought, or processed. You know, as a career, I don't want to do that.

Sense and Sensibility (1995) love the story, costumes, Emma Thompson rules, love it all.

The Shining (1980) ok, probably one of the few good Stephen King movies, though still not as good as the book. I like Scatman Cruthers, what a cool name. Redrum, redrum.

Shrek (2001) Yep, I liked it, liked the second one too. Love Shrek and Donkey.

The Sound of Music (1965) Julie Andrews again, awesome movie, based on true story, just a good, good story.

Star Wars (1977) ok, no I’m not a nerd who loves these movies like my brother, but they were good in the day. Han Solo rocked!

The Ten Commandments (1956) back in the day this used to come on TV once a year, around Easter. It’s how I learned about God.

Toy Story (1995) probably one of the best animation movies to come out in a long long time, the sequel was good too, wish they’d make a third one. We watched this incessantly at my house about a year ago when the boy was going through the Buzz stage.

The Usual Suspects (1995) Kevin Spacey is a genius. I am Kaiser Sose.

The Way We Were (1973) Still cry every time I see this one. Babs was good, Redford was good; it’s a bittersweet movie. I just wish in the end he had cared more about his kid.

What’s Up, Doc? (1972) I like this movie because for some reason it used to be on TV a lot and I remember watching it with my Grandma like every other year.

When Harry Met Sally (1989) Love the friendship, love the story, love them singing karaoke in the Sharper Image shop.

The Wizard of Oz (1939) ok, so I’ve got this one on the brain because the boy has watched it nonstop for quite a few weeks now. Still a good movie.

Woman of the Year (1942) Kate again, can’t remember the plot, but it’s Kate and I love her.

I just realized I said rocked way too much in this post. I sound like a stoner or something. Suck it up.

No comments: