Sunday, December 16, 2007

all is merry and bright

the hubs is home. yes, that is a huge sigh of relief and contentment you hear. he got home around 10:30ish last night. though i loved having the girl sleep with me this week (a switch since it's usually the boy who wants to) it was so good to have the hubs back in bed--and yes, for more reasons than what you're thinking! get your minds out of the gutter ; ) fyi, welcome home sex is almost as good as makeup sex.

today we put up not one but two trees. we went out shopping thinking we might get a new one to replace the one that has been a thorn in my side for way too many years, but alas i just couldn't bring myself to spend the money on a new tree right now. i have to say, both trees look great. we have so many special ornaments, as i'm sure most families do. that really is my favorite part of decorating the trees, looking at the ornaments and remembering where each one came from. the old tree that i hate (the bigger of the two) is in the den with colored lights and the smaller (6.5 ft) is in the living room with white lights.

my question is about kids' ornaments. i don't think we had any left from when i was a kid so i can't answer this question, but when you moved out of your parent's house did you take the ornaments you made as a kid or did they keep them? if you have kids that have moved out, did you let them take their ornaments? i don't have any ornaments from when i was a kid and i don't even think my parents have any. i'm mixed on what i'll do when mine move out. (i know, i know, i have at least 10 more years to decide this but i do think ahead. like i already know that i want my grandkids to call me nana instead of maw-maw.) i think about these things and so cannot wait to be a grandparent.

the fil is doing really well. he's up, walking around, doing laps around the nurse's station etc. he may even get to go home tuesday or wednesday. once he recovers from this they do still have to deal with the aneurysm though. and, his doctor said that each of the kids need to have a test/scan/mri something for aneurysms because this is a fluke. the fil's aneurysm is in his left leg/groin area, just like the mil's was and the doctor said that is a 1 in a million thing so each of the four kids is much more likely to have it too. yeah, like i didn't have enough to worry about with that genetic pool. congestive heart failure, diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol and now aneurysms? talk about getting the short end of the genetic stick. i'm hoping my genes will have diluted that for the boy and the girl.

hey, i want to thank all of you for being so supportive of me and the hubs this week. your thoughts, prayers, words of comfort have really meant a lot. once again you've proven that i have great friends (and i'm counting my sil and bro in this too cos even if we weren't related they'd be my friends).

i'm going to wrap some presents now.

3 comments:

Mrs. A. said...

My girl is on her own (but will be home for Christmas) and I was actually thinking about this the other day.

I'm going to keep all the ornaments that have her picture on them.

I'm going to give her any ornaments we bought her (Baby's First Christmas, for example) and ones she made in school that don't have her picture on them (like this pine cone thing she made).

I wanted to do it this year and even five her one of our little artificial trees,but my minds been elsewhere this year. Hopefully next Christmas.

Mrs. A

Anonymous said...

I say as far as Christmas ornaments go...
My mom picked a few special ones for herself and kept them. Then she gave us ones we had made and some special family ones also. I do think they make way more than we did as kids though. My tree is covered and I love it!
SIL

creative kerfuffle said...

Sounds like a plan. I think I'll keep the ones special to me and then let them have some and also maybe give them a couple from our tree. Of course I could change my mind by then : )