Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Miscellaneous

Random thoughts today because of all the stuff going on in my head.

First and foremost, though I'll be vague, I finally got a HUGE monkey off my back at work today, secured the last detail of a major project that I've been working on since September. Now the Queen of Evil can get off my back already and bother someone else. I cannot begin to tell you the satisfaction, relief and happiness I felt when this was finalized today. Though I will not dwell on this now, I cannot believe I have to do this same thing EVERY SINGLE YEAR until I leave this job. That in itself is reason to leave. I'm not dwelling though.

Computer sounds--I hate the dinging, clicking, beeping sounds computers emit to tell you they're doing something. I mute my computers at home and work. I don't like those noises, although I do enjoy the sound of keyboards, especially laptops. Odd huh?

On the Van track--I popped Philosopher's Stone in the CD player on the way home from work this evening. Big T was right, it's good. I can't believe that Barry White is considered the make out music king. Do people not listen to Van Morrison? WTF? I haven't immersed myself yet in this particular CD, but I will, but the first two songs are certainly candidates for the list of music for people to hump by.

Today there was a discussion during a smoke break about teens and sex, specifically oral sex. Big T, knowing The Hubs, said, uh wonder what he'd say if The Girl did that. I told her he'd cut the boys dick off if The Girl did that and if The Boy came home and said he'd gotten a blowjob he'd give him a high five. Big T, for the record I asked him this very question tonight. What would you do if The Girl did that? His response to you is--are you out of your fucking mind! (HIS Girl would never do such a thing because she's going to be a nun. He was even a tad miffed that I even suggested her name in the same sentence as a blowjob!) And, he said yes, he'd high five The Boy. I know I know, he's a pig for his double standards. I totally agree.

I am a retard. I've been looking at my site meter, wondering who's reading my blog in Las Vegas. I was excited--they were spending a lot of time on the blog. They were curious, interested and unknown. I checked it tonight and kept poking around and damned if I'M not Las Vegas! LOL For some reason that's how my server or whatever technical mumbo jumbo is routed. Talk about a blonde moment! So I have no secret reader. Oh well.

So last night I was reading through some poetry and doing some searching online for material for the reading I'm going to be doing for my friend Donut's wedding. I'm starting to feel the pressure. There are so many great lines, great poems about love, marriage, soulmates, etc.

from Meeting at Night--Robert Browning
The gray sea and the long black
land,
and the yellow half-moon large and low,
and the startled little
waves that leap
in fiery ringlets from their sleep,
as I gain the cove
with pushing prow
and quench its speed i' the slushy sand.


(How incredibly sexy is THAT? Please don't tell me I'm the only one who sees the allusion?)

Love's Philosophy--Percy Bysshe Shelley
The fountains mingle with the river,
and the rivers with the ocean,
The winds of heaven mix forever
With a sweet emotion;
Nothing in the world is single;
All things by a law divine
In one another's being mingle;-
Why not I with thine?

See the mountains kiss high heaven,
and the waves clasp one another;
No sister flower would be forgiven
If it disdained its brother;
And the sunlight clasps the earth,
And the moonbeams kiss the sea;
What are all these kissings worth,
If thou kiss not me?

From "The Irrational Season" by Madeleine L'Engle But ultimately there comes a moment when a decision must be made. Ultimately two people who love each other must ask themselves how much they hope for as their love grows and deepens, and how much risk they are willing to take…It is indeed a fearful gamble…Because it is the nature of love to create, a marriage itself is something which has to be created, so that, together we become a new creature. To marry is the biggest risk in human relations that a person can take…If we commit ourselves to one person for life this is not, as many people think, a rejection of freedom; rather it demands the courage to move into all the risks of freedom, and the risk of love which is permanent; into that love which is not possession, but participation…It takes a lifetime to learn another person…When love is not possession, but participation, then it is part of that co-creation which is our human calling, and which implies such risk that it is often rejected.

On Love - Thomas à Kempis (1379-1471)
Love is a mighty power, a great and complete good.Love alone lightens every burden, and makes rough places smooth.It bears every hardship as though it were nothing, and renders all bitterness sweet and acceptable.Nothing is sweeter than love,Nothing stronger,Nothing higher,Nothing wider,Nothing more pleasant,Nothing fuller or better in heaven or earth; for love is born of God.Love flies, runs and leaps for joy.It is free and unrestrained.Love knows no limits, but ardently transcends all bounds.Love feels no burden, takes no account of toil,attempts things beyond its strength.Love sees nothing as impossible,for it feels able to achieve all things.It is strange and effective,while those who lack love faint and fail.Love is not fickle and sentimental,nor is it intent on vanities.Like a living flame and a burning torch,it surges upward and surely surmounts every obstacle.

I have a soft spot for Bach so this one was especially poignant to me.

Excerpt from "The Bridge Across Forever" - Richard Bach
A soul mate is someone who has locks that fit our keys, and keys to fit our locks. When we feel safe enough to open the locks, our truest selves step out and we can be completely and honestly who we are; we can be loved for who we are and not for who we're pretending to be. Each unveils the best part of the other. No matter what else goes wrong around us, with that one person we're safe in our own paradise. Our soul mate is someone who shares our deepest longings, our sense of direction. When we're two balloons, and together our direction is up, chances are we've found the right person. Our soul mate is the one who makes life come to life.







3 comments:

guinea pig said...

try e.e.cummings too. he has several good poems that would work, although I can't think of the names off the top of my head. i do know one was used in the movie In Her Shoes.

Anonymous said...

it's Donut.... pleeease don't stress out about the reading!!!! It seems as if you picked some really good things so far :)

Anon said...

Donut, it's ok. I'm not like pulling my hair out. It's been good actually, making me think, reflect and I like the things I've read so far but I'll do my own thing and make you proud : )